You are new in Norway and have just settled down. Walking around in your new town, chilling in the parks and enjoying the beautiful sights of fjords is what your evenings are spent on. At weekends, you probably take the boats and go to the islands during the daytime and are trying to explore all those trendy pubs and clubs at nights. Your social network is expanding, and you have already made a few friends. But there is one thing that is missing. You don’t know how to flirt in Norwegian.
You see that beautiful girl in a bar or that handsome guy at work who takes your breath away. Everyone around you is speaking Norwegian and the only thing you remember from your Norwegian course is how to buy groceries.
You know what’s common between learning Norwegian and flirting? Both are exciting and fun. Here is our list of 20 Norwegian language phrases that will get you ready for flirting in Norwegian.
20 phrases you can use to flirt in Norwegian:
1. Hi, What’s up? – Hei, hva skjer?
2. You’re very good-looking. – Du ser vedlig fin ut
3. You are very pretty. – Du er veldig pen
4. You look very pretty. – Du ser veldig pen ut.
5. What a beautiful smile! – For et pent smil.
6. You are cute. – Du er søt.
7. You have beautiful eyes. – Du har pene øyne.
8. You are perfect to me. – Du er perfekt for meg.
9. Would you like to dance with me? – Vil du danse med meg?
10. You dance very well. – Du danser veldig bra.
11. Would you like something to drink? – Vil du ha noe å drikke?
12. Do you have a boyfriend/girlfriend? – Har du kjæreste?
13. Can I have your phone number? – Kan jeg ha telefonnummeret ditt?
14. Can I add you on Facebook? – Kan jeg legge deg på Facebook?
15. What are you doing later? – Hva skal du gjøre senere?
16. Would you like to go out? – Har du lyst til å gå ut?
17. I like you very much. – Jeg liker deg veldig godt.
18. When can I see you again? – Når kan jeg treffe deg igjen?
19. When can we meet again? – Når kan vi treffes igjen?
20. Can I kiss you? – Kan jeg kysse deg?
Although remembering all this by heart wouldn’t take you long in your quest for finding love in Norway, these sentences can work perfectly as icebreakers. It can even make the other person laugh. That’s a pretty good start if you ask us.
To go with these Norwegian flirting sentences, here are some of the tips about dating culture in Norway:
- In Norway, it’s not very common for men to pay for women’s drinks. Gender equality has come a long way here, and some women can even get offended if you treat them differently just because they are females. Likewise, if you are a woman, don’t expect for Norwegian guys to pay for your meal when you go to a restaurant. There are exceptions of course but as a rule of thumb, split your bills.
- “Dating” in its traditional sense, is a sort of new phenomenon in Norway. It’s easier to meet people within your social circle. If you have friends in common, chances are you are going to attend the same house parties, birthdays, etc. That’s where this thing called “Love” happens.
- Independence and equality are the keywords if you want to take your flirting further and turn it into something more serious.
Norwegians, when sober, are not the ones who are known for taking initiatives. You will be surprised to discover that they can be really friendly and welcoming if you dare to take the first step. Especially now when you are equipped with these charming Norwegian phrases, you don’t have any excuse for not flirting. So, gather your courage (or take a shot of tequila), go out there, and conquer those seemingly unbreachable armored Viking hearts.